There are several egg substitutes but they vary in their leavening ability:
1 egg = 2 Tbsp. potato starch
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup mashed potatoes
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash
• 1 egg = 1/4 cup puréed prunes
• 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water
• 1 egg white = 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again
Can substitute non dairy products for dry milk & buttermilk. To make a vegan buttermilk:
Place 1 tablespoon lemon juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar in a measuring cup.
Add enough non-dairy milk (of your choosing) until it reaches the 1-cup line; stir with a fork or whisk.
Allow mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Makes 1 cup "buttermilk".
Hi and welcome! As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist living with multiple sclerosis, optimizing nutrition for wellness is my passion. Food Matters 365 is the source for evidence based nutrition and wellness advice to help you live your best life with MS. Eat better feel better! #MSBites